Monday, August 23, 2010

Unwanted Advice

OK, So I hope this doesn't offend anyone and it's not meant to. But I had a not so fun day from colleagues giving unwanted advice about my pregnancy. Here I was, all happy, talking about how Michael and are happy, my family is happy and I feel great. I thought that it was all good. People ask if we have names - no. They ask when we'll find out the sex - don't know. I am still just taking it all in and trying to be positive and just flat out enjoy my first pregnancy.

Well that is until I went to lunch today. I was told I have gained too much weight and I'll be huge if I don't get a grip on the whole eating all the time. This isn't healthy for me to have gained 6 pounds in 11 1/2 weeks! I did the math and even if I gained 1 pound a week for the rest of my pregnancy, I'll still be normal. But that then put me in "fat" mode. All I can think about is how I'm going to be huge and everyone will make fun of me because I'll be so large! And yes, I know I have hormones and yes I know they aren't the making me think super rationally. But seriously, telling a new pregnant woman you'll be fat if you aren't careful! Well, those words didn't exactly get said but it felt like it was implied. And I know, girls hear things that aren't said but still, it was traumatic! And this all gets added to the fact that a week ago my mom said I should take up walking so I would stay healthy through the pregnancy! Ha! So I went to the gym today and got on the elliptical and worked out for 25 minutes. It was a light workout and I hardly broke a sweat but I did feel better in my hips and back. So I guess it is a good thing.

My next set of unwanted advice came from the same colleagues which was on the lines of asking me how I was feeling. I said great! I haven't been that sick. I am just hungry all the time. I am tired and can fall asleep easily. And my back hurts some. OH this got them nearly jumping over the table and told me I HAD to call my doctor. I HAD to let them know so I could maybe wear a band for my back to make myself not hurt. Well that is all great and I replied with how I had a high pain tolerance and I was going to be ok. That was not ok and so now I am paranoid about my back and my weight. And not to mention the fact that I stand on a concrete floor covered in carpet all day! Uhh, my back hurt when I wasn't pregnant from standing and teaching!

All this followed with how Michael won't be needed or wanted by the kid until it is 3. "That's really when dad's have a role in their life." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Michael is going to be a part of this baby's life. AAHHHH!

I just told people at school today! Now I have 28 1/2 weeks to hear all the wise wisdom of all the others! BABY COME SOON! Or, if you want to give advice, let me ask. I just want to know how to buy maternity clothes and what to register for. I can ask my doctor if I'm gaining too much weight or if my back will be a problem.  Sorry if this isn't what some wanted this blog to be but I just want to be happy and enjoy this and now..well...hopefully tomorrow will be better.

4 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you. I can totally relate to this. You are feeling completely normal and you shouldn't call your doctor at the drop of a hat. TRUST ME! I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I've got 3 years to blow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you! Hang in there....so I'll be back to school and you can let me hear all about it! Been there....just nod your head and smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet, sweet friend--I'm sorry you had such a rough day of sharing your news!! It should have been a day of nothing but hugs and congratulations, and I'm guessing that's what you had imagined it to be! YOU are beautiful and there's no way that is going to change one bit during your pregnancy!! Every pregnancy for every woman is different! It's hard to see that your friends only want the best for you and don't mean to hurt your feelings when you feel like every word they say is an attack. But you are handling yourself with beauty and grace! I wish I could be there to walk beside you through this journey, but I have no doubt you are going to be an incredible mom!! Love you girl--sorry for posting a blog in response to your blog!

    ReplyDelete